VALLEY FORGE MILITARY ACADEMY & COLLEGE
POSITION TITLE: Part-Time Evening Library Assistant/Study Hall Monitor
Direct Supervisor: Director of Library Services
Position Supervised: N/A
The shift for this position will be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00PM-9:00PM during the school year.
- Maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning and studying.
- Loan library materials to patrons and collect returned materials.
- Assist with sorting and re-shelving of returned books, and reserve materials.
- Assist patrons with finding and using library resources.
- Utilize computer databases used to locate library materials, as well as maintain the integrity and proper availability of books, videos, CD-ROMs, DVD’s, and other resources.
- Answer the phone, organize files, and perform other routine clerical tasks.
- Instruct all students to sign into the building.
- Assist library staff with collecting usage data.
- Responsible for closing and securing the building.
Education: High School Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree; equivalent with education/experience.
Communication skills: Library assistants need to listen to and understand patrons’ needs, provide clear answers to questions, and teach them how to use library resources.
Detail oriented: Library assistants must pay close attention to ensure that library materials and information are organized correctly and according to the library’s organizational system. Cataloging and processing library materials also requires attention to detail.
Interpersonal skills: Library assistants provide customer service to library patrons and work with librarians, teachers, or researchers.
Technology skills: Library assistants use computers to help patrons research topics. They also use technology to maintain the library’s database of collections.